Wednesday, October 1, 2008

HUH?!

I wanted to title this post, "What is REALLY wrong with our education system" but that would be rude. I posted earlier that I have been in contact with the AZ Teacher Certification program. In order to obtain a Provisional Elementary Certificate in this state you must have had state approved Structured English Immersion (SEI) training. Fine. I had an ESL endorsement on my original certificate because I chose BLE/ESL teacher training for my final 2 years of schooling. I explained this in the second email that I sent to the certification unit and this is the response that I received (4 hours later, because I think it took a lot of thought):

"You have to apply and allow us to provide you with an evaluation, if your classes don't meet the SEI requirement then you will need to get them prior to applying as they are now part of the requirement to get a Provisional certificate. If you qualify for the full ESL you right you do not need the SEI but, we won't know that until you apply."

So let me see if I've got this right: I have to apply to know if I need the classes but I have to take the classes before I apply. Furthermore, I have to apply to know if I get the full ESL endorsement but I can't do that until I know if I need the SEI which I have to complete before I apply.

Does anyone wonder what is wrong with the public school system? Maybe I'm being too logical.

3 comments:

tempe turley said...

Next do a post on what your opinions are about redistricting. I don't think I'm going to make it through that novel they sent in the mail.

H said...

I've only received a novel on the propositions. Is there another one that Bill hid from me?!

tempe turley said...

Yup, we got two copies this week. But I threw one of them away, sorry.