Friday, January 22, 2010

"Because he wants to be next to your warm body,"

he answered dreamily as he rolled over trying to get comfortable. "Everyone does."

Oh sure, she thought as she remembered the multiple times that she had been shunned as she tried to snuggle him when the heat of his body was just too much to handle. Then she watched as his chest heaved up and down, slowly gaining an irregular pattern, and his head thrashed from side to side.

After giving in, she carefully held her new found love in her arms until his breathing became steady. She loved him so much, but sometimes his need for her was overwhelming. Especially in these early morning hours when he needed to nuzzle next to her breast...

***insert car brakes screeching, driver and passenger screaming, mailman flying at the windshield, and glass breaking***

Yeah, no. I could never write fan fiction. In fact, I probably won't read any more fan fiction either. At least not the romance novel kind. This here just makes me giggle, the other (less tasteful writing) gives me a queasy feeling. Alright, I'll fess up. The above excerpt, although written by me, wasn't even fiction. It didn't exactly go down that way though...

It was 1:30 in the morning and I had just nursed Payton back to sleep. He seemed pretty out so I tried to transfer him to his crib a couple of feet from my bed. I need a little room to stretch out sometimes and our queen size bed just doesn't cut it for 3 of us when my neck is aching. So I lay him down, rub his back a little, and then cover him with a blanket. As I crawled back into bed I realized that Payton was not asleep and his eyes had popped open. Open eyes are usually a good indicator that he won't just fall back asleep. Frustrated, I asked Bill, "why won't that kid sleep in his crib after midnight?" Bill calmly says, "Because he wants to be next to your warm body."

I slugged him, knowing he was mostly asleep and delirious and wouldn't recall his comment in the morning, and then proceeded to watch Payton to determine if he would get back to sleep on his own. His head flopped back and forth a couple of times and his calm, sleepy breathing had picked up again. His head settled for a minute facing away from me, then when he turned it over again I saw those big bright eyes looking right at me. Alright, alright, I get it. I picked him up and rocked him a little to calm him down. He found his comfort zone and then indicated quite clearly that he wanted to nurse some more.

So there I lay, sandwiched in between my two favorite boys, giggling at Bill's comment and writing this blog post in my head. Obviously I couldn't get back to sleep until I typed it out. Hope you enjoy, and I hope everything is spelled correctly!

No comments: