Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thoughts on Food Storage

There is one very good reason to build up a years supply of food: we've been commanded to do so. There is not one single reason that supports this commandment, but then again, Noah had no visible proof that he would need an ark. My theory is that there are many reasons that we should try to build at least a 3 month supply. Personally, I've faced a few minor challenges, the latest being no refridgerator for 3 weeks. It's not like when this appliance stops working you just go out and drop $800+ on a new one, especially when you know your current one can be fixed for much less and isn't that old. Fortunately, the freezer still works to hold the ice for the cooler and other goodies that we can defrost when needed. Now, tell me that anyone could predict that my freezer would work but the fridge would not!?! Here are a few things I have learned about my food storage:

Jarred butter is the best!!! This miracle shelf item will always have a place in my storage. It is not hard to do and you use it the same as you would regular butter...because it IS regular butter! The other miracle is, a sealed jar of shelf butter is already softened and ready for baking. Wa-la. On another note, when the fridge AND the freezer shut down around Christmas, it was really easy to can the butter in the first place. I can also see jarred butter to be a real asset on a camping trip. Melting ice and/or melting butter will not mix!


You seriously need to practice using the food that you are going to store. If you are going to store egg replacer, you need to know how to use it. Since I have been living out of a cooler, eggs only have a place on the weekend when we will eat them for breakfast. I have tried making brownies twice now to no avail. I actually had to throw them out! Can you imagine throwing out brownies?! The first time they could not even be chiselled out. Bill had to reheat them so they were soft enough to pour into the garbage. The second were greasy and didn't set up. I think you could pull them like taffy and Bill's dad went ahead and ate about half the pan. No eggs brings me to my next point...


Maybe I need a chicken. And a cow. What's the zoning on keeping chickens in Tempe? I'll wait on the cow since I have dry milk that I DO know how to use.

I really need to start a garden. The fact that I don't have a green thumb to begin with is even more reason to start a garden NOW. If I can't do it in non-stressed times, why would it be any easier when I really need to do it. Perfecting this task now should obviously be a high priority. Does it count that I have kept bamboo alive inside the house for over a year now?!

4 comments:

April said...

I totally agree on the chicken thing. Ryan's actually been pressuring me for years to have chickens. I'm just not sure I'm ready. As far as gardens go, the key is, initial set up. Have clear defined boundaries and automomatic water. Then throw down some seeds. Voila!

Jaylee Draney said...

Well, if you really want to know, in Tempe you are allowed to have 5 chickens. My mom thinks she's a rebel because she has 6. Chickens are her compost pile. She feeds them all her food scraps, and in return, she gets free eggs. It's a perfect balance.

tempe turley said...

There was an article in the viewpoint section of the AZ Republic today that Scott made me read. (I generally stick to tracking the celebrities and Dear Abbey) Anyway, it was all about how we're all going to roll over and die in 10 years when we run out of oil and none of us knows how to actually produce food ourselves. I literally had to lie down in bed and practice some deep breathing after that because it freaks me out. I'm afraid there really may come a time when we are going to need those skills and that food, and I don't have it and it freaks me out every day of my life!!!!!

Monique said...

Hmm, you aren't the only ones that have thought about chickens...Shaun is still a no on this one....it would be nice...they cost a small fortune (the eggs that is).