Monday, April 7, 2008

Chicken farming anyone?!

Do to an overwhelming response to raising chickens (that would be 3 of you), I've developed a plan:
1. We all take a tour of Jaylee's mom's chicken ranch and decide who's in.
2. We divide the number of participants into the 12 months of the year.
3. We each get assigned certain months of the year to host the chickens and rotate those little babies from house to house.

Here's the math (Bill confirmed it)
5 chickens @ 5 eggs/day times 7 is 35 eggs per week.
If we have 3 participants we each get about a dozen eggs per week and house the chickens for 4 months of the year.

I just have to get over the horror that my mother-in-law instilled in me about chickens. Apparently her memories were not fond ones. This certainly would instill a little work ethic as our children collect eggs each morning. Not as much as milking a cow, but I don't think I want to mess with cow patties. Somebody set up the next Mommy and Me with Jaylee :)

7 comments:

Matthew J. said...

Jeez, I hope I wasn't counted in that 3... I have seen what chickens do when they aren't laying eggs and I have enough chicken crap laying around my house.
:D

Bill said...

Yes, I confirmed the math. However, my fear is(other than the chickens themselves) that we will be known in our neighborhood as "the chicken people". Don't even get me started on our nosey neighbor...

Jaylee Draney said...

I'll definately need to do a post about the crazy chicken lady in my life.

The Turley Times said...

I'll help with the chickens. It will be my one survival skill I can carry with me when civilization falls apart. ;-)

Monique said...

Count me in...I am sure that I can do something to convince the hubby to get onboard...rotating is better than keeping them all year...and then we know who to hit up for eggs if we run out for some reason! :)

RJ said...

I want to farm chickens! Davey used to insist that we buy free range until we got poor and get the cheapies free from WIC :). He can't stand that they dye them white when they naturally come out brown. Is that true?

I am getting too excited for your trip! Do you already have a list of what you want to see/do while you're here? I can try to be looking into them. But who am I kidding, I bet you'll do a better job at it online from across the country :). Davey is excited too, btw!

H said...

OK. So, It's the D's, Davis's, and Turley's in on the chickens. I'm still working with Jaylee to arrange a tour.

Rachel and Davey, I can't wait to come out there. Some chicken eggs are brown, others are different colors. I'm not sure if any of them are white. I have a pressing question that I can't wait to get both of your input on. OOOooo.