Thursday, January 3, 2008

Taking a stand

So I was in this life-coaching workshop group last year. It was fabulous and we were given a worksheet to start our season for next year. Things like what we will be thinking of, reaching for, embracing, ect...I've got it all filled in except for what I will stand for. Why is this so difficult? Clean air, good health, human rights, child welfare, immigration, working moms, SAHMom's, healthcare...blah, blah, blah. Nothing is ringing loud and clear. I have churchy stuff in different areas so I think that is covered. I don't think I need to "take a stand" for the Church. So it seems so year defining, I guess that's the problem. I can't make up my mind about what to make for dinner so how can I figure out a whole year? HELP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW! "Taking a stand" kind of things are difficult for me too. I don't quite know how to articulate why, but in the Celebration of Discipline I like how Foster gets at it. If you do read it tell me all your thoughts and we'll bond! I don't have a copy here (it's in the mail!) but I know he quotes Soren Kierkegard (sp?) and lists all these things you can take a stand on - save the environment, anti-materialism, etc. and he says that they will all be wrong unless we are "Seeking FIRST to build the kingdom of God".

Personally, when I commit to taking a stand, I often find myself confused or divided. Like sometimes I have to put another lower in order to put "my stand" higher. Does that make sense? My real life example is that if I'm out there advocating for natural birth, for instance, something I hold dear in my own life, then I tend to find myself thinking mean thoughts or looking down on those who choose differently. And the whole point, I think, of natural birth is that it is a LOVING thing to do.

But feeling "better" or negatively toward another person is obviously NOT loving. So the whole point of my "taking a stand" actually sent me off the mark, not toward it. So I guess, more and more, my "taking a stand" simplifies to things like:

I'm taking a stand on being nice to people!
or
I'm taking a stand on learning how to forgive those who hurt me or those I love.
or
I'm taking a stand on repenting of ways I hurt others.
or
I'm taking a stand on compassion.

At least, that's what I want and try for! And P.S. great stinking posts H. I love reading your blog!