Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Fun at the pump

Who knew that pumping gas could be such an ordeal? Let's start with getting the gas tank door open. Apparently it's been a long time since I've had to fill up our '96 Nissan Sentra. When I couldn't get the door open with the pop-it-open latch by the drivers seat, and couldn't pry it open with the key (there are marks from previous attempts) I called Bill. He laughed at me! Hysterically. He had to compose himself before he could explain to me what to do.

Step 1: Open the trunk.
(Step 1 1/2: pull out half the crap back there because when I told Bill to put my van stuff in the car, I had no idea it would fill up the whole trunk!)
Step 2: Pull back the felt lining.
Step 3: Pull on the little white springy latch.

Whatever! If I hadn't been running on empty for 20 miles already, I would have driven away. I was so annoyed at the car that I gave in and bought Tasha a sugar-laden, blue-dye injected, slushy inside while it filled up.

But wait! It takes far less time, and far less gas to fill up that little car than it does the van. Oh my heck...$32?! I don't remember the last time the van took less that $40. Yipee! Hmm, let's divide that my the number of miles that I drove and low and behold....(drum role please)...over 30 miles to the gallon!!!

Yes, call me a spoiled little brat of a wife that has been driving fairly new vans since Kyra was born. I don't change tires and lock my keys in the car ALL the time. I switched to driving the car a couple of weeks ago because of the stinking environment. Bill now has the shorter commute so he gets the gas-guzzler, and takes the bus at least once a week. Where does that leave me?! The junker car with good gas mileage. Wah. I don't even lock the doors to the thing because I'm too lazy to unlock the door manually. Maybe someone will steal it and we can buy a hybrid.

I think of Crystal and her broken drivers-side door during the summer. Then there is Briget changing breakers and fixing vacuum cleaners. How lazy am I? Or is it Bill's fault for spoiling me? You know, I USED to know how to fix a leaky sink faucet and tell you thread gages on nuts and bolts. Now I can't even take out the trash. Hah.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Dang gina I wish I got that kind of mileage. When we get a second car it would be cool if it were a hybrid, but I doubt it will be. My guess is that they would be hard to find used.

Anyway, sounds like you need to get that fixed... or conveniently switch vehicles when it needs to be filled up!

BTW, I finished the starbucks book awhile ago. I had to put it on hold to get it.

Heather Weir said...

At least you are saving the enviroment one car at a time. I"m with Amanda just trade Bill with the Van on days you know it needs to be filled up or be driving with him and make him get out and fill it up. Thats waht I do with Matt. If we're together he's the gas filler upper.

Anonymous said...

What is a treehugger? Why do you want to be a Treehugger? What is redeeming about hugging trees? I will be your friend if you need me to so that you don't need to hug a tree. You might want to write a blog entry about why you want to be a tree hugger. I personally like to cut trees down to burn in a stove to keep my family warm.

Unknown said...

I like it, you should come over and I could show you a thing or two. lol Sounds like fun, I wish I could drive a small car but with MY kids I just cant do that. anyway sounds like your having fun.