Sunday, March 30, 2008

S.A.H.M.

Stay at Home Mom is something to be proud of and brag about. When I find out that someone has dedicated their life to bringing up their children, I am impressed and feel that there is a little more sense in this crazy materialistic world of ours. I sometimes envy those of you that can keep sane when you don't get even a few hours when your children are in someone else's capable care. I did it for a full year when Kyra was born. The days seemed to drag, while the months speed by. I would count the minutes until Bill would get home and be really irate if he was late. I specifically remember him coming home one day when Kyra was still just a few months old. I had just fed her so she didn't NEED anything from me. I handed her off and begged Bill to let me go mow the lawn. Of course, I also didn't have all the great connections that I do now so I'd be a little better off than 9 years ago. Tasha went to work with me for about 3 months, I was home for the next 3, then she was off to a sitter at around 7 months. I won't do that again, that was really hard.

Here's the real reason for this post: when I read anywhere that someone is a SAHM my brain flips the letters around trying to make it a real word. I have such issues with acronyms! (I hate when medical shows say "GSW" instead of "gun shot wound"...it's like 2 extra syllables to use the initials!) So, sadly, when I see SAHM, I don't say in my head, "stay at home mom", I say "sham". That sucks. I'm reading, "I'm a sham of 2 beautiful children" or, "I've been a sham for 3 years now and love it." Yes, I'm laughing as I type these because my brain is saying it and it is so ridiculous. What to do?!

I think we need to come up with another name for stay at home moms. Something creative. Something that, when made into an acronym, really fits what a SAHM is all about. So that is the challenge :) come up with something that doesn't make brilliant, dedicated, interesting women everywhere a SHAM!

No comments: