Thursday, November 20, 2008

Beef, it's what's for Dinner

Our family doesn't eat a whole lot of red meat. In fact, there are very few times that I can say that I want it. Don't get me wrong, I love me a big fat juicy hamburger, or even a little tiny "flame broiled" burger, but for the most part I'm a chicken gal.

Here is one exception to the rule, it's "Aunt Pattie's Italian Barbeque". No, I don't have have an Aunt Patty, it's the name from the crock-pot cookbook. I do have a cousin Patty, but I don't think she's ever made this. Anyway the best part of this recipe is that the meat starts off frozen. That means that Sunday morning, 5 minutes before you have to leave for church, you can decide to make this for an early dinner if you have the 2 ingredients: a pot roast and a package of dry italian salad dressing mix.

Here's what you do:
  1. Grease your crockpot if you want less gunk to scrap off the sides when you're done cooking. If you forget, no big deal, I do all the time.
  2. Pull a 2-3 pound roast out of the freezer, peel off the plastic and styrofoam, place it in the crock pot.
  3. Sprinkle one package of dry Italian salad dressing mix over the top.
  4. Put the lid on, cook it on high for 6 hours (ish), or low all day.
  5. Once the meat is cooked, shread it up with 2 forks.
  6. Serve as is or on rolls. (homemade wheat ones taste yummy but distract from the delishish taste of the meat!)

I actually cooked this meat too long a few Sundays ago because we ate later than I thought we would. You can add some water to make the meat more moist if this happens, but typically the frozen roast creats enough juice to keep the meat moist. You can also cook it a shorter period of time if the roast is not frozen but then you definitely want to add some water when you start it cooking.

No comments: