Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Heavenly Father Wants a Healthy People"

The above quote was from Chef Brad at this evening's Enrichment meeting. I hope he doesn't mind my quoting his quote of 2 separate priesthood blessings, but it really does sum up the night for me. I realize that the point of tonight's lesson was to focus on our divine role in the kitchen, but I found much more help in the areas of what to do, as opposed to how to do it with a smile on my face. I went home and sarcastically answered Bill's inquiry of the evening something like this, "oh, it was great: I was told how spending all day in the kitchen doing stupid, mundane tasks for the service of my family was very Christlike...if done with the right attitude." Seriously, I get his point, took it to heart, and will try to be less of a grouch when my child refuses to eat what I have slaved over. He really was inspirational and I appreciated everything he had to say.

Specifics from the meeting on what to do to become a healthier people: (this is for mostly for my train of thought and to organize my thoughts and actions, but also for those dear readers who either missed his presentation or did not have pen in hand)

Teach nutrition to your children. Be specific about simple vs. complex carbs and they will get it!

You need 50-70 grams of fiber a day. Be sneaky in adding it to your diet. Cook your good grains at the beginning of the week and add them to the foods you already cook. Do you have a good enchilada recipe? Sneak in some grains. Add beans to your spaghetti sauce. (I still don't get this one) Start subtly, and keep adding until your family notices and quits eating the good stuff.

80/20 plan: If 80% of the ingredients in your dish, or 80% of the stuff on your plate is good, then the other 20% can be bad. This goes hand in hand with the don't compromise clause: the one where you should not compromise taste, texture, or comfort food for the sake of good nutrition. If you don't want to eat it, it is not going to make you healthier. This is also a good plan for wheat bread in the ratio of wheat flour to white flour. (The recipe I have is more of a 60/40 dough, I'll make it and share)

Replacement for white flour: equal parts of spelt, brown rice, and barley. Mix it all up and put it in your wheat grinder on the finest setting. It is good to use in any recipe except yeast bread. He used it in his Texas Sheet Cake recipe.

Advice from Chef Brad: Let food bind you together as a family!

What did I forget? Or what was your highlight and takehome advice?!

5 comments:

Marie said...

I took away from the night the fact that I need to teach my children how to cook with me as I learn. I need to bring especially my older boy up to speed on how I do things in the kitchen. I am happy of the fact though that I taught him how to iron a shirt the other night so I think I am on the right path just need to bring it into the kitchen. I also need a huge lesson on grains...suggestions?

Bridget said...

Sounds great! I am sorry I missed it. I signed up but got a mild case of food poisoning and am just feeling better.
I don't think I could have a happy attitude while slaving in the kitchen but who knows?
On top of that I hate it when my kids come in the kitchen while I cook they just seem to get in the way or make messes if I let them help. That is a hard lesson I will have to work on.

The Turley Times said...

Thanks for the synopsis. I knew I'd just get overwhelmed if I went. Pretty much the only reason I cook for my family is because I like to eat. ;-)

FizixMamma said...

I read an online article about ways to involve your kids in the kitchen and one of their best suggestions was to get out all the ingredients and bowls and things before you call them in to help. That way they can help with measuring and mixing without them needing to move around or get near the stove. And for older kids the foodnetwork website has videos of how to teach them to chop stuff up safely. Of course I was watching them for myself. LOL.

Rachel said...

I found it! And it was worth the search! Great info, you're awesome for sharing it. Now how about buying some spelt and barley in bulk and splitting it with me? And what exactly constitutes a yeast bread? Could I make pizza dough out of the trifecta mix? So much to learn, but it's so exciting!!