Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring is Here!


Google design by Eric Carle.
He's probably my favorite children's book illustrator, if I had to pick a favorite. When I taught Kindergarten I had the children imitate his art work by painting papers various shades of one color then exchanging pieces as needed to create their own picture. It worked out rather nicely and impressed their parents. I have no pictures or samples to my knowledge, just this beautiful memory.

What I do have is an Eric Carle sun painted on the wall in one of our bedrooms. I did it when Kyra was a baby and haven't even seriously considered painting over it. I really only started as I was testing out new painting techniques and ended up with a fabulous mural. I rag rolled the sky and clouds, then sponge painted a huge tree, grass, and flowers. To this day I still regret not letting the tree flow over onto the adjacent wall (let it go H, let it go!). But the top left corner screamed for something, anything! A sun, of course, what else do you put in the sky?! That is when the real fun began and the yellows and oranges and the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar came out. I painted many a coat, did a lot of taping, a lot of waiting, and got a lot of satisfaction. I don't know if I've put that much time and effort into anything since. Once every ten years or so should be enough, don't ya think?!
The best part of all this effort is when friends come over and say, "Oh, you have an Eric Carle sun on your wall". I love it! Literate friends are the best. Now, "On Sunday, he (the caterpillar) ate through ..." ?!

2 comments:

proud parents said...

" . . . one nice green leaf, and after that he felt much better."
I was at BarnesandNoble on the 30th anniversary of this book, checking it out and other Eric Carle favorites. Too hard to ignore the celeboratory sales price!

Heather Weir said...

I have to agree with you that he is the best. Kathryn loves the Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What do you See? book. I saw a Mr Rogers on how he does his pictures a long time ago. It was way cool.