Thursday, February 11, 2010

Don't Tell Me What to Do!

I've seen this attitude in Tasha many a time. If you suggest something to her, she won't do it even if she wants to. If you give her a choice and she knows you are leaning one way, she'll do it the other way. Sometimes, she will not do something that she really really wants because you have agreed that is it OK. Stubborn child!

Apparently, she gets it from her mother.

I had this conversation recently:

Me: (reluctantly) I just don't want to be told what to do.
Friend: CLEARLY!
Me: I don't like the enthusiasm with which you just said that.
Friend: Let's just say I don't want to be around you when you're 80.

So there you have it, "Don't tell me what to do!" That's my new mantra.

SOMEBODY wants me to read a book that I don't want to read. It's a parenting book and I refuse to be told how to parent. This author doesn't know me or my child so how can they tell me how to parent? Don't tell me what to do! Actually, what I realized is that if you teach me why my child is behaving a certain way I am happy to try to work with that behavior. If you give me insight into boy/girl differences, I'll be happy to treat them differently. Now, in all honesty, I've not picked up this book so I have no idea what it's about, just an idea. I'm just resisting to be stubborn. Somebody might just have to shove the book into my hand like they did Twilight. Just be prepared for me to stall and not finish it or hate the philosophy and not tell you about it. (This is actually the reason I'm resisting this particular book which is probably why this person wants me to read it in the first place. Stubborn, stubborn me.)


Friend #1: "Clearly" I have issues!
Friend #2: I still love you!
Other friend: Just loan me the damn book so I can get this over with. I know you know who you are. I know you think I should read it. I also know that you don't think I'll do anything is says because I'm just as stubborn as you are when it comes to changing my ways.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

This sounds like something I would say to you, but I don't remember it, so I don't think it's me. However, I have many a parenting book that I want everyone to read. Be forwarned that as soon as I get my book back from Sara I will shove it in your hand and force you to read it. It changed my relationship with Justin drastically. I finally feel like I have the upperhand and am in control (most of the time).

Sara said...

Okay, Okay, If you're talking about Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline the I'll get it to you ASAP so it can sit around not being read at your house instead of mine! Wait, I think it's promised to Jenny next.

I don't see why it's so controversial and why you wouldn't want to read it, though? It's not like it's Unconditional PArenting or anything!