Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Disney, obsessions, and the heat

My kids have me hooked on Disney channel. Yesterday I was the one that wanted to watch a made for Disney movie on TV, I know that High School Musical 3 is coming out this summer and am excited about it, and the mock-rivalry between the stars in an upcoming relay competition looks like a fun thing to see. I recognize the girl from Wizards of Waverly Place from a Zack and Cody episode and love the way Tasha tries to say the wizard show. None of us like Living with Derek, but have grown to love Hannah Montana, even with Billy Ray and his greasy hair, and especially when the Jonas brothers make cameos. I love the talent of these kids and hope that they stay innocent throughout their lives. This may be the first group of cute stars going bad that I will witness through an adults eyes and that will be sad. (Britney doesn't count, I didn't really know her in her innocent days)

I have quite an obsessive personality. When I get hooked to something, I am really hooked. I'll play Solitaire for days straight (OK, maybe weeks) until I win, a lot. Then I can give it up cold turkey. I've used this obsessive behavior in the following scenarios: blogging, cooking, cleaning, vitamin taking, scripture reading, sewing, TV watching, and eating. Obsession can be good in some respects, but in others it can be very destructive. For instance, being obsessed with salad would be good, chocolate would be bad. Yes, I've been obsessed with them both. So my question would be how can I adapt the good obsessive traits and rid myself of the destructive ones? Why can't I keep the house tidy and clean after a nice hour of scripture study instead of staying up late blogging, watching corrupt TV shows and playing cards? I'm sure I just answered my own question there, didn't I?

What is it about hot dogs? They really are disgusting but they smell so good, especially if they are cooking on a grill outside and have a little black on them. My brother stopped eating them when he was in high school and found out what was in them. My mom threatened him and wouldn't let him speak up since that what was on the menu for dinner that night. To this day I don't know, and don't want to know, so don't tell me. I eat them about 2-4 times a year, rarely buy them, and sometimes only choke down a couple of bites. I recently saw part of a show devoted to hot dogs. April, while in LA you should go to Pinks for a dog. You'll have to wait in line for half an hour or more, but they've been there for 7 decades and serve to the stars. I really wanted a hot dog while I was watching it, but now the thought makes my stomach turn. I repeat, what is it about hot dogs?!

Ahh, the ceiling fan. Sitting under it in just the right place makes the troubles of the heat disappear for just a while. It still doesn't make me think I want to spend many more summers here, but it feels nice. I'm seriously thinking of moving to Colorado Springs, CO. It was 83 degrees there today, felt like 80, and only had 21 percent humidity. They get snow and 6 months of winter, but it is nowhere near what Minnesota is like. I have extended family there, and my mom has already agreed that it would be a nice place to visit.

No comments: