Friday, July 24, 2009

Damn that I.V.!!!

The thing came out again and they had to put it back in a different spot. This was the cause of the initial trauma on Tuesday. Tasha knows it's going to hurt and has a screaming fit. I had to witness it and be a part of it last time. This time, however, I was able to talk her down from her anxious pleas of "I don't want it again, I don't want it again" and she walked out of her room down to the treatment room. The nurse said it was still hard, but I was grateful for her honesty and the fact that I didn't have to be a part of it. The nurses are usually pretty good about leaving the parents out of the trauma. Smart plan.

On an up note... Kenra (the super nurse to save the past 3 days!) remembered to come and get me to see the burn this time. It's better, but worse than I expected. It is much redder than it was originally, but "red and pink are good... we like red and pink. It's the white that's not so good." There are 2 small patches of white, within the red that they are working to get rid of. This is the dead skin that needs to come off so the rest of the wound can heal. From what I understand, it's the fact that it's dead, within the overall area, that is the problem. The skin is growing back from the outside and it's like having an island within preventing the healing. That's my completely lame interpretation of the event though. You won't hear terms like, 'epithelial' and 'skin bud' coming out of my mouth in any sort of knowledgeable sentence any time soon. I'd like to think I can learn it, but ya know... there's a lot going on right now and that's not really my priority. For some it might be, but me, not so much.

For those of you worried about mom and baby (you know who you are!): no Braxton Hicks contractions this morning since I didn't have to traverse through 100 degree weather, hike across a packed parking lot, through a hospital, up an elevator, and back through the 7th floor here to get to Tasha's room. I just rolled out of bed! I also forced myself to eat cold scrambled eggs and drink warm milk, blech! There is yummy chicken salad in the fridge, along with a couple of hard boiled eggs (thanks!), I had some nut clusters and chocolate chip cookies (thanks!), and I have some scruptious pulled pork waiting for me tonight (thanks!). When I realized I hadn't had much to drink I visited the holy grail of ice machines and filled up my water bottle. Oh how I love crushed ice!

Thats all for right now. I had a picture I was going to put up, but it won't let me for some reason. Maybe if I start another post it will let me. I'll give it a try because it would make many people feel more at ease, I know!

2 comments:

tempe turley said...

Helena,

You are a trooper... Hang in there... Unimaginable to be pregnant and have your youngest in the hospital at the same time. Let me know if there's anything we can do for you...

-Scott

H said...

Yeah, this kid is probably going to need a lot of therapy. I can hear it now, "my mom didn't even appreciate me when I was in the womb. I was always last on the list of her priorities..." A lot of good those psychology classes did me in college.