Wednesday, December 2, 2009

OLDIES?!!!

Crap.

I'm old.

It's been confirmed.

We had a joint mutual activity tonight and we took the youth to the temple lights. On the way there I had a van full of boys and I chatted with a couple of them most of the way. For the last few minutes Payton woke up and started crying so I turned the music up... and sang along (Tears for Fears)...

"Shout, shout, let it all out. These are the things we can do with out. Come on-on."

When we left the temple I had a couple of the same kids with me. I hadn't even started backing out when one of the boys pipes up, "can we listen to some good music?" Yeah, yeah, I know they want that garbage on 101 something. I oblige until a commercial comes on. Then we switch to country to appease someone else. I'm a surfer when there is too much chit chat. The radio is for music, and dang it if I won't find some.

So I'm surfing. Commercial, commercial, a song, commercial... "Wait, go back!" I hear from the back seat. Really I think to myself? I knew that song. I go back and sure enough, I did. It was Michael Jackson. Then it comes:

"Yeah, this song. I LOVE the oldies!" he says.

"Take it back! Take it back!" I scream from the drivers seat. "This is not an oldie! Take it back! This song came out while I was in high school." (20 years ago, I think to myself)

Crap. It's true. My era of music is officially oldie music now. I can't believe it. And to confirm matters, I tell Bill the story and he comments:

"Well. Michael Jackson was a pop icon from the 80's who is now dead."

2 comments:

Crystal said...

It didn't get much better in my van. I was told by one of the girls that she felt old around the Beehive's. She then confirmed that I needed a walker to get out of the van so I parked at the visitor's center right next to the ramp. We had music incidents too. I am now inspired to write about it on my blog as well. And yes, we are both O L D !!!

Bill said...

Hche's OLD! Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!Hche's OLD!