Monday, December 7, 2009

NTS: CFL's are NOT for the Laundry Room

The concept behind the Compact Fluorescent Light bulb (CFL) is a good one. It is longer lasting and uses less energy than the average bulb and is therefore better for the environment. The thing is, when you cram all that energy into a regular bulb it takes a little while for it to warm up. When you first turn on the light it is very dim and it starts to gain strength over time. Good enough for the average room and task, but not for everywhere. For instance, my laundry room is not a good place for a CFL. It is VERY dark back there and there is no other light source (aside from the 1ft square hole to the outside of the house where we let in the cold in the winter and heat in the summer). And really, how much time do you really spend in the laundry room? I just went back to switch the clothes from the washer to the dryer (it's pretty cloudy out and I'm just now getting back to the idea of using my clothesline). I turned the light on when I first got back there and it hardly made a difference at all. By the time I had the clothes in the dryer it hadn't even gotten to full light before I turned it off. Clearly, this is not the place for the CFL bulb.

No comments: