Thursday, December 10, 2009

Can't Touch This

Yesterday, on the way to school, I had a talk with my girls. A song had been playing on the radio and I was singing along with it. I realized that I could only sing about every other line and that I had absolutely NO IDEA what the song or the chorus was about. I really liked this song, remembered it from when I was young(er), and honestly can't tell you what the name of it was. This is when I turned it off and told my girls...

"OK girls, I'm going to clue you into something and you need to listen carefully because this will save you a lot of arguing and heartache in the future. When you grown up you are going to listen to music that I don't like. I will probably hate it and give you a hard time about it and tell you that it is no good. I will listen to the lyrics and tell you that it is no good and that you can't listen to it. That's when you need to tell me, 'mom, it's not all about the words'. I was singing this song and I have no idea what it's about. I like the group that's singing and I like the beat, but I don't have a clue as to what the words mean. Do you understand?"

I'm mostly talking to Kyra since she is older and sitting in the front seat. I can't see Tasha because she's behind me and messing with Payton. As soon as I said, "when you grown up..." Kyra got a smile on her face because apparently I do this sort of thing often. She told me she understood and giggled. I sort of half turned to Tasha and said, "Tash, got it?" To which she replied with a "got it." I'm sure she had no clue what I was talking about and probably wasn't even listening.

That was yesterday.

Today was a new day. Right as I started the van this morning there was a good beat playing so I turned the radio up. It was "Super Freak". I hear this:

"Buh-nuh-nuh-nuh...nuh-nuh...nuh-nuh" (from the speakers)

"Can't touch this." (from my 11 year old)

Kyra was right on cue with the lyrics and I just busted out laughing. How does she know this song? Is this appropriate for an 11 year old? Again, I have no idea what this song is about but something tells me that a super freak song isn't very wholesome, ya know? I guess she learned it at Kids Kamp. Fine, whatever. We back out of the driveway, almost run over some neighbors walking their dog because I'm still laughing, and head off to pick up more kids for school. I'm singing along to the song and we stop at the light on Broadway.

Then Tasha pipes in with, "mom, it's not all about the words."

Whoops, I guess she was listening. We're gonna have to be careful what we say around this 5 year old.

No comments: