Wednesday, February 20, 2008

IS and IS NOT

Those two catch phrases are working miracles in our little home with our little children. It is amazing how saying, "It IS NOT time to watch TV...it IS time for bed" works! I have no idea why. IS it possible that simply pointing out the definate yes and no of a situation eliminates all the doubt and possible arguments that a 3 year old can come up with? "It IS a good idea to do what I ask you to do...it IS NOT good to argue with me." Can you believe that works?! Duh, where has this information been all of my life?! It is all contained in one very readable book called, How to Raise a Thinking Child. I think How to Raise a Thinking Preteen is on my reading list so the author is over there but our family wasn't ready for that book. I checked out the Child book from the library a few weeks ago and decided to give these ideas a go. You start playing games with your kids to introduce these catch phrases...IS and IS NOT, SOME and ALL. I think there are 5 or 6 sets of words to introduce as your child is ready for them. Honestly, I think it is more for us parents to get used to using them. It has been a while since we did this as a game and I forget to use the right words. SOME of the time I will use it and wonder why I haven't been doing it ALL along. I really need to get back and learn the rest of the words, maybe there can be peace and love at home.

No comments: