Thursday, December 27, 2007

Garbage Duty

I have a friend whose husband would get up every morning and take out the trash before he went to work. EVERY morning! She didn't even have to beg, plead, bargain, nag, nothing! He just did it. He'd wake up in the morning, shower, get dressed, take out the trash, and go to work. She divorced him. What the heck?! Isn't that what we're all looking for in a man? Someone who will take out the trash when it's needed.

Then I actually thought about it. What good, redeeming trait that Bill has would I be willing to give up in exchange for garbage duty? Hmm. That's a tough one. He's good with the kids, he cleans up the kitchen sometimes, he has a job, keeps a job, and goes to his job. Good looks, he thinks he's funny (which is funny in itself), he's pretty smart, and he cares about all of us. He listens pretty well and has gotten used to my fits of rage to the point where he doesn't rage back. He just stands back and takes it knowing that I will apologize as soon as I get back to a sane frame of mind. He finally took the hint (and hint, and hint, and hint) and has started buying me flowers, and enjoys it. Basically, I think putting up with me is all I can ask at this point because I don't think anyone else would...especially someone who takes out the trash.

So, I'll keep Bill and I'll keep taking out the trash (or nagging him to do it). I like him the way he is and I'm not willing to give anything up for it. As for my friend...her loss was actually her gain...he became a better part-time dad than he ever was at home, AND she found another man.

1 comment:

RJ said...

Thanks for the perspective, I like it. I don't think I'd give up any of my sweet hubbies strengths either in exchange for trash duty diligence. At least not usually.