Thursday, December 13, 2007

HOV and the fast lane

So what is the proper driving etiquette on freeways that have an HOV lane and it's not HOV hours? You know what I'm talking about. It's the forbidden lane from 6-9am and 4-7pm but all other times it is fair game. Does it now become the fast lane and the fast lane is just another middle lane? I think this is confusing for some drivers, especially those that don't ever get to use the HOV lane. Personally, I usually have a kid with me so it's my lane. My sister-in-law would pretend she had a kid in the back if she REALLY needed to get somewhere and used that lane. She would turn back periodically and "yell" at the kids that were messing around back there. I think that's pretty funny, and it works if you have a van and the seats are up high so you can't really tell who is in there.

Anyway, It's confusing to drive during off hours. The slow drivers in the fast lane think you can pass them in the HOV lane. The fast drivers in the fast lane are scared to used the HOV lane. Then there are the slow drivers in the HOV lane because it is an HOV lane and they have lots of people in their car. They are entitled to be there, and dag-nab-it they are going to drive it. Sheesh, no wonder we have road rage and accidents.

No comments: