Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

(music playing...)
(December 26th) oops, I never finished this post so I'll try here...

So I've been a bit of a Scrooge lately although I haven't had anything really against the whole thing. I've just been not wanting to do all the typical busy work. No baking, no Christmas lights, no tree, not really much decorating. I put up the nativity the night I brought it home from church (was that Dec 1st?). Then I put up another. I started writing replies to the Christmas cards I received but haven't even mailed them yet. I helped Tasha put up the Princess tree (yes, it's pink and purple and VERY girly) just to shut her up. How's that for spirited?! I just haven't been in the mood.

(Thursday, the 20th) Last night we went to see the Temple lights and had a decent time there. It was followed by a terrible car ride home. I think I actually told the kids they had to do everything together today to prove they loved each other. Yeah, right! Like I have the energy to make THAT happen.

(Friday, the 21st) So this morning I woke up with a different attitude. I was able to help Kyra with her room a little and tried to give a little service. That helped. AND I felt like I was doing what the Lord wanted me to do. I ran a few errands and I came home to put up our little trio of trees. The twinkle lights are all aglow as I type. I knew it would be good but resisted for some reason.

(Saturday, the 22nd) A few more bits of service, good stuff that service.

(Sunday the 23rd) Church is always crazy the week of Christmas. Hate it and love it. Our Primary class did our Nativity play for Sharing time and then we included ALL the rest of the Jr. Primary class. I'm not sure which was the most adorable...the 4 wise men from the CTR 5 class, the 2 sheep and a cow dressed in their Sunday best dresses moo-ing and baa-ing from the sunbeam class, or little Justin on top of his teacher's shoulders to be the star shining over Bethlehem. After church I made tamales with my friend from high school. OK, I'm not a fan of the actual tamale, but I love to assemble, socialize, and eat the red chili meat in a HOMEMADE tortilla. YUM!

(Monday the 24th) Making tamales apparently brought out the cook in me and I went on a baking spree all morning and afternoon. BIG mistake, although it brought about some happy results. Greek cookies, yum. Caramel corn, big flop...I think I used baking powder instead of baking soda (sorry anyone who got some of this!). Cookie mix in a jar...hmmm, I went to deliver some of these and forgot the instructions, DUH! Anyway, by 3:30 I was pooped and had family coming over at 5pm.

(Christmas Day) OK, 2am and it really doesn't feel like Christmas now. There is NO WAY that you can have a migraine on Christmas day! Against all better healthy judgement I popped the magic pill (that would be Imitrex, the miracle migraine relief) and went back to bed...I think all the sugar in the baking really did me in. NO more sugar! (yeah, right)

Kyra was up for good around 6:30 and Bill was kind enough to entertain her until Tasha woke up around 8. Tasha really didn't get it for quite a while. For a moment I thought she was going to reject Christmas, presents, and Santa. Oh well, she got over it and loved running back and forth from the other room to deliver the gifts. She and Bill took a nap while Kyra and I went to see Enchanted. I love to see movies on Christmas day and haven't been in years. Thanks Babe! It was a really nice day...riding bikes, playing games, and taking pictures of kids taking pictures (that's a whole 'nother story!).

1 comment:

RJ said...

Ooooh yea! I haven't checked your blog for ages because I've been a crazy woman with moving, and now I have lots of fun reading ahead of me! Give the ward a hug for me, I miss it already!