Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Christmas...or...Happy Holidays?!

I don't know what Merry Christmas means anymore. Christians are all in an uproar because businesses won't put it on their signs and then they congratulate other companies that make the stand that they will use the saying. Are you kidding me? I think Merry Christmas has turned into more of a slogan than an actual greeting. Let's face it, in the retail world it is a slogan, and it means buy more stuff because that's the spirit of the season. So what do I care?! I care because people are just out to make a stink and I'm sick of it. What do Christians think Merry Christmas means anyway..."I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating Christ's birth"? Well, I don't think so and I have a little proof. (call me a cynic if you must)

First, the Christmas station on the radio. I decided to tune in to get the true spirit. I listened to it for an hour and after about 4-5 songs I started a list of what they were playing. Here it is: Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Feliz Navidad, Merry Christmas Darling, Sleigh Ride, Silver Bells, Carol of the Bells (instrumental), Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman (a jazzed up, funky guitar version), Merry Christmas Canon (instrumental), Joy To the World (instrumental). So there you have it. One song in an hour that has anything to do with Christ. Yeah, yeah, they all have to do with giving and sharing, and loving, and the "spirit" of Christmas. Later that day Kenny Rogers brought it all home though when he sang a classic version of Mary, Did you know? Thanks Kenny, I can always count on you.

Next we have Christmas movies. Santa Clause the Movie, The Santa Clause, Rudolf, Frosty,Charlie Brown Christmas...even the classics like Miracle on 32nd Street and It's a Wonderful Life. They all bring happy feelings and sometimes a hint that there is a God. It's a Wonderful Life has an angel, Linus tells us the true meaning of Christmas, but the new version of 32nd Street even took "Trust in God" out of the ending to prove there was a Santa Clause. The Nutcracker has nothing to do with Christ's birth but we love to see it every year.

How about books? The Christmas Jar is a wonderful story of giving but I'd have to reread it to see if the mention Jesus or religion at all, maybe they talk about faith. Here's a quote from A Christmas Carol (it happens to be playing in the background): "Christmas is...A time when men and women can do good to others." Scrooge refuses to say Merry Christmas back because he doesn't do good unto others. Right? My favorite story is The Night Without Darkness about the Nephite Christmas. Of course I don't read this to the kids until Christmas Eve.

Let's face it, if you want a story, show or religious offering at Christmastime you have to choose to do so. Yeah you can get it at church, but that's a given, just like any time of the year. I'm not saying that this is wrong. Frankly, I don't need the Christmas season to declare that I am a Christian. I think what most people mean when they say Merry Christmas is "have a great holiday season with your family and friends". So..."Have a great holiday" is what I choose to say during this holiday time of year. Unless, of course, I go to church with you and want you to remember Christ (hah!). I'm not chickening out, like Bill thinks, I'm just saying what I mean so that there is no confusion on the receiving end.

No comments: