Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I Love New York!

The Big City! The Big Apple! Crazy traffic, drivers, shoppers...everything about it makes me ache to go there. Public transportation that is convenient, city lights, festive/traditional activities accessible to all. Time square, the Flat Iron building, SoHo, Uncle Nicks Greek restaurant, Manhattan Temple, Central Park, Washinging Heights and my Aunt Yota. Tiny pizza stores with no room to sit, stand, or move...you buy and leave to eat your pizza huddled on the stairs to the NYCity Public Library. Even the dingy smell of the deisel fuel that looms in the air is appealing to me, aaahhh, the smells of NYCity! Car horns, sirens, bings and clunks of the subway, "yah, yah", aaahhh, the sounds of the city! The hustle and the bustle that isn't so crazy if you accept it, relax, and enjoy the experience.



I'm intrigued by any movie or book that takes place in or is about NY. I don't like them all but it draws my attention like nothing else, except maybe WWII. I'll put on "You've Got Mail" for background noise when I'm up late at night...I know right when to look up for the scenes of the city "...he loves the streets of New York almost as much as I do...".



Bless my sweet husband that lets me run away to NY! I know he does it partially because he has NO desire to be there. He suffered through a one day experience, once. That was enough for him, Billy, and his parents but Kyra and I went back...a couple of times! I've been as a tourist, visitor, and as a mock tour guide on a 3 day crazy pre-Christmas adventure. There is nothing like Christmas in NYCity! My favorite visit was a time with my mom. She came along for support, as one of my aunts was in the hospital. We staying in the Bronx, rented a car, and enjoyed all our time away from the hospital. We drove to Astoria to get a taste of Greek life, food, and got our nails done. I conquered NY City driving, and YES, was honked at, and did some honking of my own (I think, or was that my vision of greatness?!). We didn't do any of the touristy things, we just were.



So, to my sweet friend who is moving to NY and is not excited. I hope you read this and become excited! I've never lived there, but really feel like I could. You have a fabulous adventure ahead of you and I'll come stay with you anytime you'd like!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that was so kind of you and it actually did plant a wee bit more excitement in my mostly hard heart toward NYC. I have a feeling if I didn't love my husband so much I'd be content to live in Tempe the rest of my life. But now you have a place to stay in our one bedroom crappy apt. for 1500 a month. Bring your kids, we'll make room on our couch :)
Okay, I'm still working on my heart, apparently. But the invite was real!

H said...

Poor Rachel. Be glad your baby is little and doesn't need a seperate room. Also, be glad you even FOUND a place to live!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Do not be fooled! Public transportation that can't move because of the insane traffic,insane traffic, city smog,traditional activities like muggings, shootings and robberies, crime, graffitti, high prices, dirty streets, window washers at every corner (don't even think about not tipping, and last, but not least, the Yankees! I never understood why anyone would like all that. But my wife does! That is why I "let her run away" to NY. Is she crazy? She married me, so what does that tell you!!!