Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Is that code for: get this lady in because she doesn't bring her son in enough?"

I've now seen my son sit perfectly still twice today. The first time was at the doctor's office while the doc examined the rash that spread from his leg to his tummy and pit over this last week. I waited for the dreaded news that he had the measles or was in the middle of a major allergic reaction to some food I had given him. Ugh, food allergies, the only thing I could think of this past week would have been eggs or dairy. But, the doc checked him out, as he sat perfectly still, and determined it was just a rash of unknown origin. Now, the second time he sat still was as his father rubbed the hydrocortisone cream all over that itchy rash. Sit, P.T., sit. Good boy.

The doctor pointed out that the last time I was in Payton was not walking yet. It's been that long? I don't remember. Dr. Curran has a great bedside mannor for both the kids and their parents. Including their negligent parents. You know, the ones that are supposed to come in for well visits, but don't. The ones that say they will come in every 4-6 months to get shots, but don't. He's a nice guy. He didn't yell at me. He did ask me to bring Payton in for his well visit and he added, "tell them up front we can see you anytime." I replied with, "Is that code for: 'get this lady in because she doesn't bring her son in enough'?" He laughed. He laughed hard at that. Even his med student laughed. I'm a riot, apparently. Then he said something about living in a commune and Payton was probably healthier for it. He's a good doc, with a good sense of humor, and I've never felt judged by him. I'm sure he'll be moving far away soon because that's just my luck.

4 comments:

Monique said...

He is our doc too! L.O.V.E. him!

Jaylee Draney said...

Unknown origin? Seems too simple. I could go be a pediatrician.

April said...

Unknown origin as in dairy or eggs. My ped said the same thing. Then I took Justin in elsewhere to find out what it was since it persisted for years. the hydrocortizone just didn't do anything but stop the itching. But it sounds like you've got a keeper of a doctor if he's not harassing you about shots and what not.

Liz said...

He's our doctor too, thanks to Monique. :)