Friday, October 28, 2011

The Best Thursday, EVER!

Some days I seem to get nothing done, while other days I accomplish plenty. If I have a fun day but get nothing done I try not to feel too guilty for goofing off and it typically involves one of the kids so I call it motherhood. The accomplished days are usually good because things get done and I have something to show for it, even if it's just empty laundry bins and folded, clean clothes.
Today was something entirely different. I had a blast, got a lot accomplished, AND spent plenty of time with friends and family. Here's what went down:
First I spent 5 hours decorating cakes for a fundraiser on Saturday. I've never done this before and got to use all kinds of fun tools. I didn't have to make the scrumptious looking frosting and didn't have to clean up. I saw plenty of friends and acquaintances that I haven't seen in a while, and I got to be creative all at the same time.
It was so much fun I called it a play date for moms!
After that I came home and helped Tasha finish her homework before we headed off to IKEA. Anyone that knows me knows that IKEA is one of my favorite places to go. I'm not sure why, but it is. This time was even better because it was Tasha's idea to go and it was just the 2 of us. I needed to find some lighting and picked up a few more things because that's what I do. It was a productive trip and Payton was asleep when I got home.
Also when I got home, Billy and his girlfriend were sitting on the couch chatting with Bill. It was great to see them both again, and we set a couple more dates to get together for PT's birthday and pre-Christmas festivities.
Sadly, Kyra was sick for most of this day, but I did a few motherly things for her and she mostly just needed to rest. She, too, was in bed when I got home from the store. I got her some more medicine and she's resting well now.
When everyone was tucked away and Billy had gone, Bill and I watched the end of game 6 of the World Series. It didn't look too good before extra innings, but the Cardinals pulled it off and we're going to the final game tomorrow night. Go Cardinals!
During the bottom of the 9th inning, I put together 2 of the lights that I bought at IKEA. I heart IKEA and the keen folks that put together the products and their instructions. This is one of my favorite guys:
He doesn't talk much, but he isn't afraid to admit that he doesn't know what he's doing. He'll ask for instructions and then is very helpful and draws pictures for me to assemble things. Over all, he's very thorough and gets the job done. I especially like it when he tells me that I need a friend to build something big. I didn't need anyone else tonight, but that's OK.
Finally, I finished the sewing I needed to do for Halloween. This is odd, like really odd for me. I'm usually working on it as the kids are dressing and here it is 2 days before they need the dang shirts and 4 days before actual Halloween.
Oh, and now, as I type up this blog post, I'm using one of the desk lights that I bought and assembled to light up the keyboard and not hit a bunch of keys I don't mean to.
Aaah, here's to bedtime and a good Friday.

2 comments:

mamamuniz said...

I hate that I missed decorating cakes (that might be a first for me..), it is so fun. Yours turned out great, and I hear you cranked out a ton of cakes!

H said...

Oh Lisa, I was sad when Colleen said you couldn't make it. It was totally fun and would have been neat to see your creations as well.