Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tamale Heaven!

Oh, my freakin' heck of a good tamale. I have died and gone to tamale heaven, and I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm not even really a fan of tamales, and I am cravin' these babies. I had 2 for breakfast yesterday... and the day before... and sometime last week. The only bad part is that I have to share with Payton. (jerk!)

A couple of weeks ago I had a discussion with Nickie that I had bought all the ingredients to make green corn tamales at Christmas time but I just didn't get around to making them. Long story short... she took all my stuff, added some of her own stuff, and wa-la... tamale heaven! Moist, cheesy, and in need of absolutely NOTHING, not even salt. (and I think all tamales need salt!)

Because the green corn with cheese were so scrumptious, I tried her meat ones as well. Hello! She uses a mixture of beef and pork and it is seasoned deliciously. The masa in these ones did need salt, but there was so much meat that I didn't bother. I think my family will be quite happy with their dinner this evening.

So, since my local Mexican food-friend-caterer and her parents moved away, there's a new kid on the block. Nickie makes and sells tamales for $2 each if anyone is interested. I believe she has a fresh batch ready to roll as I type.

1 comment:

Monique said...

Waiting for a dinner invite... ;)