Sunday, June 20, 2010

Honor Thy Father

Bill's dad came over today for Father's Day. I just love it when he is at his best, and boy was he tonight. Maybe he had a swig of Jack before he came over (I hope not, since he drove), but I think he was just in a good mood. And a good mood for Dad means he's up for some debate. So, what does honoring thy father mean in this house? It means you have to put up a good fight, get heated, and laugh while yelling. It's classic. Tasha even piped up from the living room with, "Mom, are you and daddy having a fight?" while Kyra sat at the table shaking her head because the 3 of us were at it. Immigration, Sheriff Joe, former and current governors, and obeying the law. All good stuff.

The fun thing is that these days Dad is going to church. He declared tonight that he found a church he likes. This makes me giggle, because apparently it takes some searching. Anyway, after some talking about a photo radar ticket he got in the mail, Bill was trying to convince him that if he just ignored it he probably wouldn't have to pay it. I mean, how do they know that you got it, right? After a bit of debate on whether or not you could really do that and if it was an effective way to deal with a photo radar ticket, Dad, "Mr. I've found religion", questions "hey, doesn't your faith have something to say about being truthful and honest?" No comment from Bill. His answer for that is usually something like, "just say 3 Hail Mary's and call me in the morning." Like we even know what a Hail Mary is! I turn to Kyra and ask her to repeat the Article of Faith that has to do with honoring the law. She stalls. Eventually we get to the part about sustaining the law. Yep, I think that covers it.

So, for you Dad, on Father's Day:

Article of Faith #12 of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
"We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Now the real question to all of this is how did Bill rate on Father's day? If he and I were busy entertaining his father with mock arguments who was at the brunt of all this? Bill was, of course. He is typically on the opposing end of these debates as he tries to infuriate his dad with ridiculous arguments. He's done it for years, just to get his goat. It's fun to watch and be a part of and even more fun to join in on. Ah, politics with the family, how I wish his sister had been here. I suppose I'll have to make up with Bill later tonight...but that was the point really, wasn't it?!