Monday, October 19, 2009

False Labor?

This 'morning' I woke up at 1am and absolutely could not go back to sleep. I say 'morning', because really- after 2 hours of sleep is it really morning?! I don't think so. Anyway, I got up and walked around for a while having a few contractions but not really intense. I hopped in the shower because that usually gets things started and afterwards had pretty regular 5 minute intervals between them. "Well sure, I thought, that's because I'm up and moving. I bet if I sit down they will go away." I tried that and was still having them for a half an hour. By now I'm starving and thirsty, etc., etc. I get up, eat, pee, walk around, pee, sit down, pee, read, walk around, pee, pee, pee...

By 5am I've had it. I'm exhausted so I lay down to try to rest. Bill gets up at 6 am and I'm happy to report I slept for an hour. I feel pretty good and the contractions are still there. Subtle, because I'm laying down, but still there. Alright family, it looks like we're having a baby today. Everyone stays home and people seem to get to work. For a while. Then they're not and they are driving me C.R.A.Z.Y. This folks, is why women don't labor at home- limited space and too many people in your way. Maybe I'm weird, I don't know, but I don't want to have to worry about slipping on a puddle of water in the kitchen because somebody got some ice on the floor and didn't pick it up. Call me crazy.

So I walk over to the park for a little while and realize that these people that I love are totally distracting me. I sit down on the bench and the contractions are fading away. Only when I walk are they there. It's 9am by now and I'm tired. I've had 3 hours of sleep. I go home, tell everyone to go to work and school. Today is not the day.

The baby seems to be lower and I've still got some contractions coming. I made a berry pie and a chicken pot pie for dinner. YUM. Someone at Bill's work said that a false labor confirms that the baby is a boy. Figures. They tease you and then they don't follow through. I relate this information to Kyra and she says...

"Yeah, boys are always tricking you."

3 comments:

Monique said...

I had false labor for a few weeks before I had Kaysen. He was my only child that I had any labor (false or real) symptoms at all with.

Enjoy Payton driving you crazy.

April said...

I love Kyra's comment. I had start and stop labor with both of my boys as well. Maybe Mary is Mitchell instead...I have some good books for you to read if that is the case.

Sara said...

Had some weird contractions with Josh at 36 weeks, too. Saying a prayer you get sleep tonight. Nobody deserves to go into labor on 3 hours of sleep!