Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Memory of...


Bill gave me a hard time about creating my blog. He said I was scared to do it because once I had a blog spot I wouldn't have anything good to write. AS IF!!! I've had thoughts racing through my head for the last few weeks, thinking, "if only I had a blog". So instead, I read what everyone else wrote on their blogs and comment. Honestly, it wasn't fear that held me back, just the need to make my first entry an honorable one. So here it, dedicated to the best Mother-In-Law any girl could ever have!

Last week I was sitting outside Barnes and Noble at the new Tempe Marketplace. If you've been you will know that they have one of those cool water squirt play places for your little ones. If you haven't, you might find out the way I did. Tasha and I had just stopped by the area to check it, get a smoothie and a shot of wheat grass from the juice place. She was happy and we decided to walk around to see what was there and open. When we got to the water place Tasha of course wanted to get her feet wet. Amazingly, she said it without a whine so I let her. She stripped off her shoes and socks and proceeded to tip-toe through the water spurts, covering the smaller ones with her foot then leaping off to avoid letting the water hit her. I took a picture with my phone and then attempted to send the shot to her dad with a message. I'm not great at texting so it took a while and when I looked up Tasha had become a little more courageous with the water. The bottom of her shorts had taken a few squirts, but she was still doing fine. I stopped her from play long enough to pose for a shot. After sending it I decided that I needed a different angle so I got up to realize that Tasha really was enjoying the water. Her (jean) shorts were now drenched all the way through to her underwear and the bottom of her shirt was drenching. How funny was that?! I guess we would not be going to the story time inside B and Noble at 11, would I?!

So what does this have to do with my mother-in-law?! She would have laughed at me, called me a terrible mother for letting my child get soaking wet, then congratulated me for letting her live in the moment. I loved that about her! I realized that the moment it happened last Wednesday and I teared up sitting there watching the granddaughter that she never really got to know. Oh, how I wish she was here to confirm what I already know...Tasha is just like her father. I'm sure that I never behaved in the stubborn way that Tasha does and Bill's mom would have stories to tell on Bill. Bill is the one that set his room on fire, not me!

It is simple times like those when I miss the people that have made it past this life on earth. Moments like watching my kids lick stuff off the counter when I miss my grandmother and wonder if she saw that. Rooting for the underdog in a World Series game when I miss my grandfather. Stupid tow-trucks and the winding road up to Payson that make me miss my father. But we were talking about Bill's mom...here are a few tidbits that I learned from her that make my life better:
1. Frame your favorite picture and put them in the bathroom, that's where you spend most of your down time!
2. Use a snapshot as a bookmark. (this is fun when you pick up the book months later and had forgotten about that picture)
3. Keep all your nail stuff together and mobile, then you can do them whenever and wherever.

Those are just some of the silly things that I observed from her life. She was a clever, patient, kind woman who was always up for a lunch date, shopping, or a little chit-chat. I know Bill misses her every day, especially since she would always listen attentively to him. The best thing is that if she were alive, I know she would read this. She finally figured out email, and once she got rid of dial-up she was good to go on the Internet. Here's to you Mom!

3 comments:

Bill said...

She's right...I miss my mom very much. Family was always here priority. There are times where I am sure she is watching over us...this was one of those times.

April said...

Fun fun! Can't wait for more. Definitely honorable.

Monique said...

Very good, honorable first post. Can't wait to read more. Makes m wish that my kids got to know my grandma...