Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Don't blame me for your incompetence

I'm tired of people taking their ignorance out on me, especially when I am the customer and they are the ones that are supposed to know things! Do I really need to explain your job to you?

Last week I stopped at a card shop because it had a post office in it and I needed to mail something. As we were leaving Tasha spotted a fuzzy poster that she wanted to buy for her friend because it was her birthday. Of course she wanted one as well and I was in a semi-generous, non-confrontational mood and it wasn't like it would break the bank. Then there were the overpriced, scented, matching princess pens that matched the poster. What the heck I thought, I'm only out 5 bucks. We make our purchase, go to the car, break out the pens so she can color on the way to the park, and I start the van. Then it comes..."mom, these pens aren't working". And they aren't, neither are the other pack we purchased for her friend. (that would have been a great gift!) Back into the store, check another pack, and another, and another. Is it possible that hanging these felt tipped markers with the tip up is a problem? So I ask to return them and she can't. What?! She doesn't know how to do a return and her boss is gone. Can I come back later? Fine. The next day I return and she starts to help me after summoning her boss. She proceeds to return the whole purchase when I question what she is doing. Shouldn't she just return the 2 packs of pens and credit my debit card? No, that's not how they do it on that register. Wait, didn't you say you didn't know how to do this? Whatever, just please credit me my money! (yes, there was a bit of frustration in my voice and I did walk away, but I did not even raise my voice) Meanwhile, her boss comes to help her and I study the 40 or 50 packs of pens that are still on display so another little girl can be disappointed...then I hear it...I hear her tell this man that the customer is getting all irate about it. Are you kidding me?! Me irate? I had to come back another day to make a return because you were too stupid to do it in the first place!

Then today I'm waiting for Tasha at the library and decide to check out the cafe upstairs. I peruse the menu quickly looking for the 4 non-coffee drinks (yes, it's actually labeled that way). I ask the girl if there are strawberries in the fruit smoothie. I'm thinking this place is in a library, it's like Costco and we don't have choices here, it's one kind of smoothie. She doesn't know what's in it and turns to the other lady to repeat my question. She tells her that they aren't fresh strawberries but that it's a strawberry concentrate. I confirm that there are strawberries, thank her and walk away. Then I hear the girl talking to the lady and say "whatever". Yes, it was in reference to me! How do I know? Because when I turn around and start walking back she has that, "oh crap, she heard me" look on her face. At this point I see the paper with the 4 or 5 smoothie variations posted at the end of the counter. I acknowledge that I didn't know that there were several flavors, I thought they had one smoothie, and that it does matter...you can't say "whatever" when your daughter is allergic to strawberries! Whatever...I walked away, went downstairs, and cried in the bathroom.

So why do I let these people get to me? Why can't I let it go? Why do I come up with evil plans to send everyone I know to the card shop to buy the pens and a poster, use them and then return both items because the pens don't work? Maybe because my husband is always complimenting or complaining about different stores' customer service. I don't know, maybe now I can let it go...

(by the way, it was The Cornerstone Card shop on 40th street in Phoenix, tell them the irate return lady sent you! HAH!)

2 comments:

April said...

I totally agree. What morons! It's difficult because they think you are stupid because they are too stupid to realize how stupid they are. I had a horrible experience in which a store owner told the bbb (which I had written a nasty review to) that I was a bad customer that had belittled him and offended him by screaming obsenities at him. I don't think so. I was very angry that he was lying and tarnishing my name when the reverse was true! It's hard to get over this stuff!

Monique said...

People like that get to me too. :(