Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Don't Give A Crap"

This was the wise advice that my chiropractor had to offer me last week: "Don't give a crap."

Our family actually missed a night of camping because I was fighting off a migraine on Friday. I was supposed to go into the chiropractor at 1, but that required Tasha to watch Payton while we were there, and her moaning at the idea was the last straw for me. I lost it, whined like a baby, pouted and said, "Fine. I'm not going camping. You can ask your dad to take you." And that was it. I got Payton to sleep, picked up Kyra, whined some more, and told Bill I couldn't get it together to leave that night. Mom was a big flop and life sucked.

Then Bill got home and I could get out for my massage and back/neck cracking. Oh, sweet painful bliss! There is a spot on my left shoulder, at the bottom of what feels like a steel rod of a tendon, that has a knot. The knot should not be there, but it comes and goes with stress. When that therapist pressed down on that spot (with her elbow, mind you), oh sweet mother of all things painful (!) the pressure in my head disappeared. Nothing ever hurt so good and managed the pain so well. She worked relentlessly on both sides of my shoulders finding 4 separate knots and then moved onto my neck. Ugh. That hurt. But alas, the pain, the migraine, and the strained eye-sight was gone.

Then Dr. Lee popped my back. He snapped my neck. He pulled on my head. We discussed the migraines. After eliminating other possibilities (for this one at least) I told him, "I know this is stress induced. There's no doubt about it. This week has sucked. What do I do about that? How do I prevent stress?" Then comes the brilliant answer. The worst, best advice I've ever gotten. Or is it the best, worst advice? I don't know. Either way, I know I can't really follow it, but I can laugh about it and that helps a little.

So if you see me stressed out, popping a vein in my forehead, or worse yet- rubbing the base of my head and squinting my eyes, just repeat the wise advice of my chiropractor: "H, just don't give a crap."

5 comments:

Bill said...

Now I am not saying it should be your motto, but listening to it from time to time would be good! If you are unsure on which situations to apply it to, let me know...

Liz said...

I think that is great advice! That would probably help me out too if I took it.

Monique said...

Ah....words of a wise man...if only I could follow them!!!

Umm....my word verification is...

nopain

seriously....no joke!

April said...

Sounds fiercely ssimilar to "O be wise, what can I say more?" See, I'm a genius and always give/take the best advice. Kudos to your doc for figuring that out. And, I don't give a crap either. Let's not give a crap together. Deal?

H said...

Is this really the advice of my friends too? "DOn't give a crap"? Bill gave me a blessing earlier this week and told me I would know who to listen to. The chiropractor, my friends and "nopain". Yes, yes. If you are wrong, you'll all go to hell with me!