Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Politics are impossible

You know, I want to be involved in politics, and I want to be an active citizen. I get all the election materials in the mail and try to read some of it. We also get 3 copies of the stuff...one for me, one for Bill, and one for the tenants that lived in this house well over 10 years ago. I'm glad to know that they are actively voting!

So I'm reading the lastest information on the new "Permanent Early Voting List". OK, really I just skim over it and see the section with the election date information. This gives an alphabatized list on when elections will be held. I will list them, WORD FOR WORD below:

a) The second Tuesday in March.
b) The third Tuesday in May.
c) The ninth Tuesday before the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
d) The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

I'm sorry...WHAT? Did you read "c"?! I reread it, and reread it. Then I tried the Spanish side:

c) El noveno martes antes del primer martes despues del primer lunes de noviembre.

Nope, it still doesn't make sense to me. The "ninth Tuesday"? Is anyone else confused here? I was pretty sure that we only had 4 Tuesdays in a month, maybe 5 on occasion. Is this a cruel joke to make me feel stupid? Is someone at the Elections Department having a little fun? Did they really get someone to translate that? Even if there really was a ninth Tuesday it certainly couldn't fall before the first Tuesday could it?

I feel like Charlie Brown here. (Possibly because "Snoopy come home" is playing in the background) "Can anyone tell me what Christmas is all about?" Better yet...can anyone explain to me what letter c is supposed to mean?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You find the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, then you go backwards 9 Tuesdays. The voting day would be in September.

H said...

Well now, isn't my child a genious? I guess that goes to show you that the election board must have a 4th grader's mentality. Of course, that means that they are trying to make sure you have exactly 9 weeks between the 2 voting periods. I get it and have been trying to figure out a better way to phrase it. This is what I came up with: the Tuesday 9 weeks prior to the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Maybe "prior" is too big of a word. I'd have to get my Spanish-English dictionary for that one or else I'd translate it for you.

H said...

El Martes nueve semanas antes de el primero Martes despues de el primero Lunes en Noviembre.

(sorry, I couldn't help myself!)

Monique said...

Kyra, you are a little genius...I sat here for a minute trying to figure it out too. LOL